Tuesday, May 3, 2016

The Heartbreaking Reason That J.K. Rowling Killed Remus Lupin

       After finished the last book in the series, Harry Potter fans were heartbroken for one reason or another. Although I was very sad about many of the deaths that took place, one that hit me particularly hard is the death of Remus Lupin. Like J.K. Rowling does every May 2 (the day the Battle of Hogwarts took place), she apologized for the death of Harry's favorite Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

     Here's what J.K. Rowling had to say about killing off Remus Lupin, "Once again, it's the anniversary of the Battle of Hogwarts so, as promised, I shall apologise for a death. This year: Remus Lupin.  

In the interests of total honesty I'd also like to confess that I didn't decide to kill Lupin until I wrote Order if the Phoenix.
Arthur lived, so Lupin had to die. I'm sorry. I didn't enjoy doing it. The only time my editor ever saw me cry was over the fate of Teddy."
      You may be wondering why J.K. Rowling waited until after writing the Order of the Phoenix to decide to kill Remus. All of Harry's father figures ended up dying. And Remus, being Harry's last link to his father, needed to go as well. Regardless of Rowling's reasoning for killing Remus, that was a hard death to accept for me considering that not only did Remus die, but his wife, Tonks, died as well leaving their newborn son an orphan. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment